“In October of 1988 I decided to try to do SOMETHING helpful in Vietnam, something that would help people who were as needy as any I knew of then. My first trip back to Vietnam was in June of 1989, and what began as a mission action program of my church eventually became a Hawaii non-profit corporation, then a 501c3 humanitarian aid program.”
ECR was established in 1989 in Honolulu, Hawaii by Pastor Bruce Harless, and operated as a mission extension of the University Avenue Baptist Church.
Beginning as a ministry to support ESL at the Agricultural College in Thu Duc, Ho Chi Minh City, by 1992 ECR began to broaden its boundaries to provide practical help to meet the needs of those living in extreme poverty.
- Major repair on schools and donation of school supplies (1992-1994)
- College scholarship program — over 155 students have participated, which include 2 doctors, 3 pastors, nurses, accountants, agriculture specialist, and scientist. (1996-present)
- Public health medical assistance programs (1994-2014)
- Provided a total of 5 medical boats to remote areas of Vietnam
- Building medical stations in 4 districts of Ca Mau province
- Other achievements are a dental school, water purification barge, various medical procedures, drilling wells, and building walking bridges.
David and Donna Farrington have four adult children and many grandchildren. President, David Farrington, is a businessman with over 35 years of experience.
As a retired owner and president of a durable goods distribution company, he began working with businesses in Southeast Asia incorporating Christian mission work with business development.
Donna, ECR’s Secretary and Treasurer, is a retired kindergarten teacher with a M. ED. in Language and Literacy. She has traveled to Africa and Southeast Asia many times working with children. David and Donna have a passion for reaching “the least of these,” and have a special heart for at risk children.
Under David and Donna’s leadership ECR has continued the good work that began over thirty years ago by supporting workers in unreached areas through financial support, prayer, and help with special projects. ECR partners with those bringing the gospel message to the unreached through monthly support and supporting ministries that include church planting, college scholarships, sports ministry, and discipleship and training. ECR, led by workers on the field, is able to help people with immediate, physical needs, who need a helping hand.