“In October of 1988 I decided to try to do SOMETHING helpful in Vietnam, something that would help people who were as needy as any I knew of then. My first trip back to Vietnam was in June of 1989, and what began as a mission action program of my church eventually became a Hawaii non-profit corporation, then a 501c3 humanitarian aid program.”
ECR was established in 1989 in Honolulu, Hawaii by Pastor Bruce Harless, and operated as a mission extension of the University Avenue Baptist Church.
Beginning as a ministry to support ESL at the Agricultural College in Thu Duc, Ho Chi Minh City, by 1992 ECR began to broaden its boundaries to provide practical help to meet the needs of those living in extreme poverty.
- Major repair on schools and donation of school supplies (1992-1994)
- College scholarship program — over 155 students have participated, which include 2 doctors, 3 pastors, nurses, accountants, agriculture specialist, and scientist. (1996-present)
- Public health medical assistance programs (1994-2014)
- Provided a total of 5 medical boats to remote areas of Vietnam
- Building medical stations in 4 districts of Ca Mau province
Other achievements are a dental school, water purification barge, various medical procedures, drilling wells, and building walking bridges.